Search This Blog

Friday, May 28, 2010

Por Larranaga Montecarlo MAY07

Hard sometimes to review a favorite.  Will it perform officially?
This Por Larranaga Montecarlo is a very slim cigar, but certainly not the slimmest in the catalogue.    It is a wonder everytime I smoke this cigar that such taste can come from within a cigar so narrow.  Maybe the wrapper is that good, or maybe it's magic.  I am sure the binder must be pretty special too.  Anyway, I speak too much.  Let's smoke. 
On my way home from work I smoked this on the interstate with a window down letting in the hot air and road funk.  This is usually a bad thing for the burn, but this cigar has been in a baggie in a desk for 8 days or so, so it is pretty dry. 
It's funny how dry cigars smoke, to me, so much better than springy properly humidified cigars.  SOMETIMES you get a little harsh note from a young and dry cigar.  But usually you get a great taste that you simply cannot get any other way.  So alot of people 'drybox' their cigars, mostly in a cedar box without any humidification.  It improves draws and flavor in most instances.  The smoke from this cigar is quite sufficient and round, with a nutty and creamy base that all the other flavors will play on.  There is a little pepper but mostly the sweet caramel flavor many people associate with this marque.  There is no real progression, but to be honest, I was driving a car.  But steady GOOD flavor is better than sketchy so-so flavor denominated in thirds.  It burns so nicely, and I am huffing on it as I drive.  Did you ever notice that everyone else on the road is an insensitive jerk?  There I sit, driving in this desert of courtesy while the international cell-phone-use olympics stages it's driving competition outside my window.  And don't get me started on the cars that go boom.  But the cigar was my sword and armor.  And it was impenetrable.  Like I said, it's just not right to review your favorites, and maybe it would have been hard to write this had it gone poorly.    But I give it a solid 84.  Nothing great, but really good and enjoyable, to about the band, and then I tossed it out the window.  Is that bad?  Not in my neighborhood.  "Yo dude thanks for the blunt wrap, man.'  No problem, man.

No comments: