Search This Blog

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Buried treasure

Thanks to a blog reader, I remembered the best advice I ever gave anyone.  Derh.  The kind of stuff you expect in a blog.  Truths revealed, secrets passed along.  Anyway, he reminded me that when you smoke havana cigars, you always always always put the last five into an old cabinet, toss the empty box on the stack and order more.  When you have a great box it often makes sense to keep a few back.  If they are THAT great, maybe you can just save two.  But you will always thank yourself at some future date on down the road.  It came to pass that the gentleman had seen a review on Bolivar Belicosos Finos and said that he had recenly tried one out of a dress box of 25.  I bought my FIRST BBFs in a flat box and they were tremendous.  That was in 2001 I think.  Maybe 2003.  But for the story it sounds better if it's 2001, haha.  But I said way back then, "These just keep getting better everytime I pick one up to smoke."  So I pledged that day to always TRY and bury the last 5 cigars in a box.  I have dozens and dozens of cigars of  various ages, sadly marked only in my memory, hehe.  But I know what cigars are what, I am not a tobacco baron with a house built of Bud light and cigar cabinets.  But I have consistently forgotten that I HAVE DONE IT.  So this exchange today had me thinking, what a good review.  A 2001 Belicoso Fino.  So I will find that cigar.  That's how I knew I had the last Bolivar Lonsdale.   And the three last 98 Rafael Gonzalez Lonsdales.   And my last 02 Bolivar Petit Corona.

Point is, you know you are going to get more anyway, so why not open a bank account.  Or maybe a safety deposit box.  And hopefully we can pencil that BBF review before May expires.  Still gotta get to that Montecristo Double Corona.

No comments: