Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

Cohiba Lancero 2001

This was a dry old relic from a trip abroad.  I had quite a few left, so I thought it would be a good time to try one out.  The wrapper was common to the times, a hairy/toothy, oily, chamois cloth of medium tan leaf.  Pretty attractive cloak over a straight old  man.  The band was laughably loose, and comically old fashioned compared to the band from the Cohiba cigars produced after 2003.  The cigar smells as much perfumed as barnyard, but with a coffee grounds aroma.  it lights right up and develops an even ring around the cigar.


The first inch was all bean flavors and light cocoa powder on the tongue finish,  It was light in flavor, but even lighter in actual body.  As it warmed up, the flavors began to creep into the sinuses on their own to the point where it made me sneeze.  The cigar burned cool and slowly.  It was 45 minutes before I realized I lad burned less than an inch and a quarter.  I decided to get a little greedy on the smoking, because it was giving up a ton of flavor, and I wanted more of the taste, giving little thought to the burn rate.  It got a little gassy after that mistake, and I let it go out and then scooped out the dead ash and re-lit it.  This started a riot of flavors that just sent me over the edge.  I said screw puff ettiquette, I am gonna smoke this as fast as I have to to get my money's worth.  So I just ran it to the band and enjoyed myself.  It got hotter than I wanted, but that just opened up more intense flavors.  So I slowed down, but then I thought, "this is a Lancero, except it is drawing perfectly, smoking cool and tasting crazy good, I can't pass up the opportunity to taste it all.  Vanilla, coffee, chocolate, cinnamon, hazelnut, pecan,  I had Blue Bell flavor of the month going here.  I wasn't gonna waste it.
Finding a cigar like this to smoke is a treat, they can be few and far between if you don't put cigars away for aging.  I suggest finding something you like and putting away a box or two for a not-so-rainy day.  You can BUY em like this, but the taste was certainly well worth having watched this one grow up meeself.   

No comments: