Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Diplomaticos #5 08

Gonna review about 3 of these, have yet to have a good one out of the box, and that makes me mad.  This is my favorite size of havana, and there is something wrong with a cigar that is giving me this little.  Smoked one over lunch today, and outside of a few good puffs after lighting it, it just closed up and stopped revealing depth.  It was like the ultimate sick cigar.  Just sat there.  I will smoke another tonight and put up some photos.


 I have a lot of people that smoke these all the time and they can't duplicate my poor results.  And I am personally pulling for the cigar as well.  So maybe we'll see some turnaround from a larger sample.  But the three I have had from this box so far have been just awful.

Smoked one tonight and had much better results, but still a little thin on the flavor.  the flavor was  unique tonight and somewhat defies explanation.  Sour in a good way, a bit bready, but some kind of cake type bread like fruitcake, if that flavor wasn't awful.  Kind of a cross between unsweet brownies and homemade bread.  One thing that was remarkable was the aroma in the room.  It was like some kind of incense that varied between brownies and sandalwood.  It would turn some heads in a bar.

 But these need some serious time away from the light.  I think I may revisit this cigar in 2012 and see if it can be saved.  2 terrible and one good cigar out of three is more like the numbers we saw ten years ago.  So these are discontinued now?  No need to drop off on the quality until they are actually out of manufacture, though.  Maybe it's just me.
No sense in whitewashing it.  Average of three cigars.  75.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dead on Brad!

Smoked my first one of these today at lunch. Picked them up in a fiver with a recent purchase. I don't know what I was expecting, but I'm with you. Not much but bitter pepper and spice in this one. I think the #4 is a better cigar, although I like to try all the minutos/perlas.

Divinos should be here any day to keep the RASCC company.