Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Just doin my part for a friend

We now pause from our regularly scheduled cigar drivel to continue to put out the word on a great girl, songwriter, bandleader, guitarist and even sometimes a passable singer.  But if I remember correctly, Jimi Hendrix did not want to sing because he thought he was an awfully poor singer.  But he figured if Dylan could get by with that nasal, whiny voice, and be popular doing it, he might give it a crack.  And crack is just what Liz does.  She can sing, but never tries awfully hard to stay on pitch, and sometimes ends up in the basement and out of range when the song needs for her to go even lower.  Kind of the opposite of someone who starts out the Star Spangled banner too high.  But whatever she does, and however she does it, I LOVE IT.  And I am so glad she sings OUT with whatever voice she has.  In all of rock and roll's wide pool of talent, you don't get ladies like LIZ PHAIR very often.  Love her or hate her (I suggest the former), the woman writes music and songs that are cleverly put together and never too saccharine.  I wish she would return my calls.  I promise that this will continue to be a Havana Cigar blog, but I got bidness to attend to foist.

PS, if you have to buy a record and are not sure which way to go, I recommend "White Chocolate Space Egg".  but I like em all.  You should also find and listen to "The Divorce Song".

* * *

PPs.  Kara Donaldson ... google yourself and see this, then find and contact me or our mutual friend "the Jeep" please.
Subject line should include the name of your socks I used to like.
I used to ride my bike 8 miles downriver and through a swamp to see you.

No comments: