Search This Blog

Friday, May 21, 2010

H. Upmann Magnum 48 Edicion Limitada

I should not be reviewing cigars because I seem to have irritated my nostrils, and a more than a few readers, -rimshot-  But seriously folks.  I smoked a Magnum 48, or as the dangerous like to call them, MAG 48s.  EL.
Edicion Limitada. 


Which I hate to say it, actually almost tastes like an H. Upmann smoke.  If that's what the 'olive' taste is, I almost get it.  I am smoking the second of two and the results of both cigars were VERY consistent.  Bravo Habanos.  This is a dark wrapper for an EL, which is normal.  It's not too pretty and they never are.  But I like the power of this cigar.  It is strong enough to force you to take sips of smoke, which controls the burn well, which I think shows in the ash. 


Of note, I usually do not cut a havana.  I pinch a divot out of the head, and isn't it nice that havanas have flat heads?  Many cigars have these domed heads, and when you cut it, tobacco bits fly everywhere.  A havana takes a punch cut very well for this reason.  Not this cigar, lol.  I got worried.  I couldn't pinch it, I couldn't punch it, so I guillotined it.  Lit easily with my new LGC lighter with a ping.  An inch in, the flavor is funky, like a dank earth, but you get so much leather that it is really tough on the schnozz.  Harshly pleasant. 



I get where the flavor is going to come from in 5 years.  ELs are good when they smoke great fresh and it's easy to zip through them.  But this is a mistake unless you pick up some extra.  This cigar's best years are 5 years away at a minimum.  It is great now, but in the way that an air horn is a great noisemaker in sports situations.  It's great but it's still obnoxious.  People that appreciate power, but never smoke the ligero-packed non-havana blends still like to have something this sharp.  Even I LIKE it in a Bolivar.  In this blend, it's too much for me.  But at the same time it is greatly enjoyable. 


It burns well, regulates it's smoke well, tastes strong and can be easily sipped for people who can squeeze flavor out of whispers of smoke.  I often compare strong and fresh cigars like this to the Punch Superfino which to me is the best cigar Havana rolled in their Ediciones Regional. 
Ever. 
Yet. 
But it would be fair to note I have had only a tiny handful of the ERs, because I generally avoid the ER and EL series. 

The cigar has just gone creamy and much easier to taste.  I have only one thing negative to say about the ER and EL lines.  I would much rather have a good, consistent Montecristo No. 2 than ANY special cigars.  If I could get 25 high quality cigars in a box, I would reward the organization with my loyalty and willingness to try new things.  But for now I wander the wilderness like David Carradine trying to find a good box of  Belicosos Finos.

But again, this is good.  I shoved the band up several times, then pushed off the Upmann band.  This is nubbing for me.  I don't nub cigars.  Which hurts especially on a 4 inch cigar.  And for the record HSA, I do not like these short robustos.  They are not getting cranked up fast enough in taste to make it worth smoking.  By the time I get interested, the cigar is ready to let go.  What works in a minuto doesn't seem to transfer well in these cigars.  My only hope for them as they age and develop, maybe they will be good from first to last puff.  But most people smoke them up pretty fast, I hear.    I'd give it an 85 today, 94 in 3 years.

No comments: