Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The classics

I got into a wide open-ended conversation with myself, or rather, with you guys in the post displayed below this one.  I argued that the Laguito #2 is one of the all time Habanos classic shapes.  And for the sake of conversation began to rattle off 4-5 that I thought fit that description.  But that was the end of a review of a cigar IN that vitola, and the best idea was to wind it up there and move on.  But this is part and parcel to the argument or plea or lament, of mine, that Habanos is doing away increasingly with it's history in order to chase the market.  Or false trends they may be following.  Hell, REAL trends.  They say, and I believe em, that people want thicker cigars today.  Well, As many of you know, Habanos Sociedad Anomina, herafter known as Habanos or HSA are doing away with a good number of vitolas de Salida.  These are cigars of one certain vitola, or shape, but with many different sales names.  Take one shape, a Delicados, a vitola de Galera,  and that vitola is rolled for 3+ Brands which become termed Vitolas de Salida  (The Partagas Serie du Connaisseur #1, the El Rey del Mundo Grandees de Espana and And Bolivar Especiales #2).   Basically a sales name for that brand's cigar of that shape.  So a swipe at one shape takes down a couple of different brand's cigars.  And over the past 4-5 years, they've been dropping like flies.  And the vitolas that are being show the door that bother me the most are the long and thin cigars.  I don't know so much, but it seems that several of the brand's great, iconic cigars are their long and thin cigars.    And for the people who are in the know on such things, this has caused a little panic.  There are some epic heavy cigars and epic floral cigars being discontinued.  Now no one is out marching in rallies about these cigars going away, but among the cogniscente, we're kinda p.o.'ed. :)    And just with the MdO and SdC lines, you lose the carlottas and the parejos and the delicados.  Panatelas, panetelas largas and palmitos.  And you can't blame em.  Streamlining things makes so much sense.  But ouch.

Most of these cigars are magically delicious.  Gone forever baby. 

Maybe they look at warehouses full of unsold, thin cigars from 99 and 00.  The internet chat forums sealed their fate.  Except for camping enthusiasts like Carlos, most people don't want a box of 250 dollar tent pegs.  The sales of those cigars dropped seriously.  Maybe they think no one wants these cigars?  But people didn't stop buying them because the vitola was defective.  The vitolas are some of the finest in the portfolio.  The reasons no one wanted to buy them and the reasons they were so poorly constructed has all been talked about before.  That is all old news, and steps were taken to flush those cigars out of the pipes.  Good Job and thank you.   

So MAYBE, and I have to be clear that all I can ever do is speculate on HSA's intentions on any given day, but maybe they feel like "They HATE these CANS!!. I mean you get what I am saying?  They think that we don't like the vitolas.  And all the brands are gonna get a haircut.  And as a result we are losing the Medaille D'Or line in La Gloria Cubana, the entire Serie du Connaisseur line from Partagas. 
But some could argue that these old time vitolas are going to come back one day as special editions or something and that might happen, but I think they will be all too easily forgotten.

And you know what?  I can't argue with them on their decision.  I hedged against the loss of the skinny cigars I love and will wear black for a week when the last one falls.  And I will just smoke what they offer, cause they won't change and I don't care.  Two great reasons. 
And I have to say, I agree with them on about half of their logic.  I have no problem with dropping multiple vitolas de salida within a line.  But I guess, only because I am no fan of one or more of the cut cigars.  I know other people are hurt.  So as we say goodbye to some classic vitolas, pick up a box or two of the Serie du Connaisseur line.  And source you up half a dozen LGC Medaille d'Or while you are at it.  No matter what I say, or what forums scream about, or what the old time cigar men in the organization say under their breath, this is headed for completion, HSA's final solution to the panetela problem.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post Brad!

I think HSA is caught up in RE-LE hype. Every one (nearly) they release is a monster size and sells like hotcakes.
Humans, much like ostriches will snatch up anything new and shiny. I think they are confusing our ostrich-like behavior with true market demand. They are trying to have capitalist thoughts,maybe.
Or perhaps we are a very small part of the market.