Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Partagas Serie P No. 2 - late 2005 vintage

This picture was taken after the cigar had burned for 2/3 of it's length.  The crack was smaller at the outset.  It was dropped on a hardwood floor from waist level and was deemed smokeable, but just not right to give to someone.  I let it sit out for an evening, and then decided to light it and go for a long walk.  I already know this is a bad idea.  My lungs are old man lungs and do not like the extra distraction of steady excercise breathing.  But I was not expecting much from this one now, and thought it would be fun.  

It was perfectly aged, that was apparent from the first puff.  Light on smoke due to the cracks in the wrapper.  It drew as if there was a slight leak and indeed there was.  But the smoke was decadent, aged and creamy.  5 years spent in a cedar box with the lights turned off was very good to this piramide.  Very manageable pepper from it's Partagas heritage, nothing overpowering but very firm and balanced.  It was not dry and smoked cool and burned very straight.
It was not a pleasure to smoke while walking, but when I arrived back home, I laid it down, showered, then dug out the ash and re-lit the cigar.  It was delicious, but clearly suffering the effects of walking and smoking and mis-treating the smoke.  I had no high hopes for the cigar, so I was not disappointed in it's medium performance and conversely quite sorry that I had dropped it.  This is clearly a blue ribbon smoke and as much as I hate to just pat myself on the back, it is perfectly aged with years and years to go.  Flavor like this could go on for decades.
I took it a little closer to the end, but part of walking and smoking is kind of a rough buildup at the back of the throat, and it was not very enjoyable past the last photo,  Since I abused it, I won't bother grading it, it would be unfair.  Had it come out of the box perfectly and been smoked under optimal conditions, however, I have no fear in predicting a 90 on this smoke.

No comments: