Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

Cohiba Robusto 2009

I am not so sure about these smokes.  These are Cohiba Robustos, the flagship short cigar from the most famous name in the cigar business. They were kind of spongy when I got them, but the were wet from pre-travel over-humidification to be sure.  It also must be said that these cigars are not this dark.  I adjusted in Photoshop using auto-level as they were darker than I'd like and I was being lazy at the time.  They are more colorado maduro in shade


Well-rolled and oily, the flavor was as bad as any cuban cigar I had ever had. Right off the truck.  This one started out minty and fresh but not particularly great. Maybe it was 'Cohiba grassy'. It began, once it warmed up, to be a little creamy, but still not very impreesive. Did I mention that I left this smoke out on the table for more than a week? I find a dry cigar smokes better than a 'properly humidified' cigar, in flavor and burn. Mercy, I would hate for this smoke to be at 70% rh. I hate the wrappers on these, kind of a sick version of the Habana 2000. It just doesn't want to burn in a consistent manner.

Right now, the best I can really say is hints of Black Cherry. And this is very disturbing to me. This is one of the best cigars in the world, for sure in the top 5. And hints of black cherry? Sweet. Slightly herbal. No chocolate, no vanilla, no coffee. No nutmeg. Argh. I need to dig and find out what boxing date these are, because they are just awful. And remember, awful is totally relative here. This is not a cigar that I would toss in the gutter in disappointment.
You guessed it.  That's about where I left it.  Not going to smoke a cigar for pleasure that doesn't give me any pleasure.  These are far too young to be smoking.  But if you think this cigar failed to conform, wait til you hear the story of the JR Alternative to the BHKs.

No comments: