Search This Blog

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Montecristo No.5 revisited 2005 box

Montecristo No. 5 is one of my top 5 cigars and gets a lot of playing time in the game that is my love of habanos.
It's not neccesarily cost-effective, but it is taste effective.The definition of wishy-washy is me saying that this is my favorite small cigar, a point I make about every cigar this size.  Spicy and sweet like a good steak, shows a delicate cocoa powder taste with a sticky finish and a lot of power for a cigar so small.  It is only about 4 inches long with a 40 ring gauge. But a really satisfying cigar. 

The cigar burned straight as an arrow from beginning to end with perfect draw and consistent flavor.  The ash was perfect with rounded ridges and toothy white specs embedded in the ash.


I am glad more than anything else that I am smoking a good cigar finally.  Been on a bit of a bad streak lately here at the ole' Warranty Seal blog.  As it was absolutely nubbed and was really not spent THEN, we've got to give it a pretty high mark.  But the draw and burn were both so strong that this has to be elevated even more highly to begin to approach 90 in scoring, and if you add in a few points for mood-altering ability this is a solid 92 points and had the flavor been just a little more intersting and delicate it would have been a 94.  As it was the cigar was a very solid, consistent deliverer of rich, strong, sweet flavor with just a hair less balance and complexity that I would have liked.  Get these while they are hot.

I never nub cigars, but I took that one down to 3/4 of an inch before I was willing to let it go.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great entry, as always! Can you comment on the M#5 and aging? Specifically, I'm wondering how the recent ones are smoking now, when you think they will be a good as this one you review, and when in your opinion they "peak." Thanks!