Search This Blog

Saturday, October 9, 2010

LSU WINS!! And I smoke.

I like starting a blog entry with that, LSU WINS!  What the hell business do I have saying anything on the internet.  If anyone has any idea, make sure and let someone in the area know.  Oh, wait, I remember now.  I am so cheap, that cable is something I have no idea about, it's those rich people what's got that.  So I went  to the Fox and Hound and watched LSU for about 30 mins with the sound of a different game playing in the background.  Then we asked that they switch the sound to LSU and things really picked up. I smoked two cigars while watching LSU WIN, the first, smoked in reverse order of expected wow factor, was the Cohiba Maduro Secretos from a 2007 box of 25.  From the first puff it was a creamy bomba of a small cigar, the format Habanos excels at.  I can't think of a single small cigar made by the island's monopoly tobacco company that is a disappointment.  That's good news for a cigar smoker.The medium-dark brown wrapper had smoothed out a bit from it's boxing date of 2007.  I lit it up when I realized that I was about 15 minutes early for the game, and had a Samuel Adams because the waitress couldn't find Abita.  What a fantastic cigar, the spice and brute force of the dark, oily wrapper had mellowed to a perfect pitch in the cigar's flavor profile.  These were a little less balanced in 2007 and 08 when I smoked them last.  Very much creamy and grassy Cohiba goodness with some serious espresso and chocolate notes in the taste.  I have to burn off little tiny imperfections in the wrapper, and I tend it because it is otherwise SO well behaved I don't want to let a ragged burn bother me.  Perect draw, burn and taste.  Very rich and powerful with a ton of good, sweet smoke.  It paired well with the Samuel Adams and I left about an inch in the ashtray as LSU began to not WIN, but kind of "Saints" it along with a two QB system an d decent drives ending in turnovers.


And then I lit the Partagas Serie D No.4.....When I cracked the tubo of the Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill and poured out the Partagas Serie D No.4, I was kind of shocked.  I had forgotten placing the 2009 cigar into a tubo for some kind of transport earlier in the month.  Wowee, what a perfect cigar.  It was strong, spicy, smooth and leathery.  Perfect burn all the way to the 1.5 inch mark and then I let it go out.  I picked it up about ten minutes later and removed all of the ash.  It lit right back up and poured out a great flood of sweet creamy, spicy smoke.  This was the best performing cigar I think I have smoked in 2010.  Other burns have been as fine, tasted as rich, but the award for balance and all the rest certainly goes to this PSD4.  Just a stellar performance.  EVEN though I could not really describe the 'flavors' of this smoke, I could TRY and get by by saying, a "rich, opulent example of perfect Partagas spice that was consistent and enjoyable from first to last puff."  Is that powerful enough tribute to give the general idea that this was a 93?  I'd like to give it a higher score, but I know there are other cigars AS satisfying, but with better, more magical flavors.  I would hate to sell those cigars short.  This was good and just short of approaching epic. Not much left but the photo, thankfully snapped by my man J during my general, constant homering for the Tigers.  Otherwise I could just SAY I smoked these two up. 
Those were two of the most satisfying cigars I have had in months.  I am glad I decided to take them out to accompany my LSU watching.  I will conquer a few more this weekend, I have a 2008 Cohiba Robusto that needs to be smoked.  Who knows what could burn this weekend.  I THINK I get the Saints tomorrow on TV.  It's not easy here.  Mostly scheduling luck-ups.  But winning the Super Bowl helps too, in no small way.  HAHAHAHA, GO TIGERS!

No comments: