Search This Blog

Friday, June 1, 2012

And just like that it was summer

Its only because of a great irony that I write this entry today.  Today is what I CALL the first day of summer.  Meteorologically perhaps, it's nowhere near it.  But on the calendar, to ME, summer starts on June 1st.  The reason this is odd is because it is 67 degrees outside in freaking Memphis, TN.  On June 1st.  This MIGHT just be the weirdest weather year I have ever experienced.  Certainly the last 12 months were.  If you recall, while the leaves were still on the trees in early fall, we had ice storms and snow in the northeast that brought down a LOT OF trees and limbs.  Then we start 'summer' way early, before we have even had any kind of real winter.  The bugs are here to take over the planet, and the campaign starts today!  


So its 67 out, and overcast.  I just put a down payment on a box of Behikes.  The cheapest I could get.  This from a man that never orders cigars from the forbidden island.  I am ready to send out the lots that I put into our troop support auction this past week.  I picked out all the cigars, the glassware, the humidors.  I got a chance to see the bottom of every cooler I own, which never happens.  Outside of a messed up Saturday afternoon working out of town, this is going to be a relaxing weekend.  I am going to fill up the bird feeders, bring an ice chest outside, alongside a humidor of smokes, a bottle opener, a triple-flame lighter and my little TV.   And I am going to soak up whatever is left of the cold front and watch the little birdies eat up my retirement money.  Normally I would cook, too, but I have been cooking the carp out of some meat lately.  I need to relax.  


Then next week, after barely working at all, I get to drive to Charlotte and see my family for most of the work week.  I get to play in the dirt with my mother and relax and be a good son.  And sooner rather than later, there'll come another holiday, the 4th of July.  And then before I get the smell of powder and magnesium off my hands I will be in the Smokies again for a whole week.  As a fatty, I usually hate the summer.  But this year I think I am going to go with the flow and slide into my 50th year with a smile.  Just go with the heat, hope for a breeze, and smoke some of my best cigars.

No comments: