Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2012

1998 Montecristo "A" again

I call this 'again' for a few reasons....No.1, I thought I already typed all this out, but suddenly the post is not there anymore.  You can never be sure what is going on at Blogspot.  They changed the whole way it operates for a "better" system that sucks.  And now posts disappear I guess.


No.2, I have smoked a few of these for this blog, and they have all been reasonably good, at least as good as a giant comedy cigar can be.  But this one would be different.  I did not keep any notes, I smoke and blog, not letting much time pass in which I could forget what I remembered.  So this post might be a bit thin.




The cigar clipped nicely enough, but there was no air to be found in the draw.  I thought it was just plugged.  I would find out later this was not really the case.  So I put the smoke into a dry box and left it for a few days.  When I went back to it, it was a bit better, and I wanted to smoke it and have a beer.  I chose a Victory Golden Monkey...might be a bit too springy for this cigar, but it was looking like a dud to begin with, so I threw caution to the wind.  The cigar lit slowly and burned agonizingly slowly as well.  What I realized was that there was a hidden air leak in the wrapper that was stealing my suction.  I found this out midway when the wrapper just peeled back in my hand.  I was not happy.  The cigar was a triple-clutcher.  I had to pull three LONG draws to get any kind of smoke.  What I got THEN was not bad, strong and full of chocolate and spices.  I gave it a fair trial, smoking 2/3 of it's length until I just got mad and let it go.  I do not think that the torcedore tricked me, hiding his error with a smooth wrapper, but I will say that if there had been draw machines in the factory back in the 20th century, this one would have been yanked, I hope.  I enjoyed the flavor of my laborious draws, but the experience was not a good one.  So I will eviscerate the cigar's noble reputation and say if you can't get it right, don't charge 20 bucks a pop for the smoke.  68 points.



No comments: