Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cohiba Maduro Secretos '07 - Smokin in the Smokies

Barely Smoking in the Smokies might be the best way to describe it.  A lot of rain, a lot of hiking, a lot of heat and missed opportunities to smoke led to only TWO cigars being smoked in a whole week.  Shocking.  And I was so well prepared.   And honestly, this cigar did NOT get high marks because of, you guessed it, something I DID.  I got in the hot tub and smoked it.  perfect for a quarter inch of cigar, and then I begin to hear a gurgle when I drew on it.  The sweat rolling off my face slid across my lips and onto the butt of the cigar.  Fantastic smoke, always is.  Supremely rich, toffee and coffee flavors with a core of sweet and creamy toasted tobacco.  I love these cigars.  I have one box of these left and I think I am going to keep them long term.  These are about the same size as your favorites like the Montecristo No.5, the Bolivar Coronas Junior and Partagas Short,  with a little extra length.  Or so it seems. It also seems a RG point thinner, but I think I am mistaken.





I think that for a cigar that got a bit panned upon it's original release, this smoke and to an even greater extent, the Genios, have proven to be WELL worth the money for a box.  Not so much a 'Cohiba' as it seems to me a CONSISTENT "EL cigar" that is not a EL cigar.  Basically the same wrapper and supposedly Cohiba innards, these continue to perform well many years after their release.  I have enjoyed nearly every one of these I have had.


NOW, I DID ruin the smoke, but for at least a half inch I enjoyed the smoke immensely, after that, ehh, a bit soggy.  And in the end, the butt stayed out in the rain before I had enough daylight to shoot it.  As such, it is a little bloated and the band is faded a bit.  Based solely on the portion of the smoke I was actually able to enjoy, 89 points.  Could have easily scored in the low 90s.  It was very good.  I highly recommend the Secretos and Genios of the Cohiba Maduro Line.



No comments: