Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

Oak Fatigue and the Locke-Breaux Oak

As I look back on a fantastic week in New Orleans I was struck by how quickly I found it possible to coin the phrase "Oak Fatigue".   I saw so many centuries-old oaks draped in luxuriant Spanish Moss that I could no longer generate a respectful admiration for just what I was seeing.  To be fair I will only post my own photos in this entry.  I have to thank Cam for contributing unknowingly and so heavily to my New Orleans series.  He takes such fine photos it was very difficult not to post his best shots just to show off the skill he has developed.  But that is for HIM to do.  I personally think he should develop a photoblog, though the internet is littered with the corpses of such endeavors. 

Here are a few photos of great trees, plus some photos I am posting for the 100 Oaks Project of the Live Oak Societies FIRST and founding president, the grand Locke-Breaux Oak that once grew at Taft, Louisiana.  I had some pictures that my mother gave to me, and they deserve to be appreciated by as many people as possible.


Here are a few photos of the Locke-Breaux Oak that once reigned supreme over all other known Live Oak trees.  She was the biggest and the oldest, and over 300 people could eat lunch in the shade of her spreading arms.   Air and Water pollution from the newly forming chemical industry nearby killed her deader than dead.  I am not sure how many people have photos of her in their family albums, there could be thousands of pictures out there.  During her time along the river, people often came upriver from New Orleans to visit the grounds of the dairy on who's property she found herself, and hundreds of people were invited to eat supper at the main house there.  Surely they took photos and brought them home to their families.  Surely other people living nearby had photos as well.  But you can look all over the internet and only find the old postcard photos.  That changes today.  I have posted these to fulfill a promise I made to a blogger who has a blog (the 100 Oaks Project) promoting the trees of the Live Oak Society.  I hope you can use them. 


No comments: