Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Serendipity Cruzado and Chimay

Looking in the box for a smoke tonight.  Thought maybe I would have something from Havana, and something made me change my mind.  I didn't think about what had happened until the cigar was cut and lit.  Cruz is "Cross" in spanish, (not sure what cruzado is) and here I am drinking a beer made by monks.  And it's Easter. 


So it could end up being just another beer and another cigar, but this cigar was special.  This cigar was sent to me from a guy out in California as a subtle hint about something I said online.  I am not the biggest fan, certainly not the biggest BUYER of non-cuban cigars.  I just find them to be a little lacking in almost everything.  There is strength oftentimes, but no real character.  Well this cigar broke out of that stereotype, and broke out with real style.  It was filled with light coffee and cream, but outside of that constant core, it was replete with subtle hints of musk, chocolate, vanilla, toffee and more.  The body was medium and excellent.  The cigar was rolled like a newspaper, and burned sideways to show for it, but for every 4-5 light puffs, I laid in a monster triple-puff and that seemed to keep it in line without relights or lighter checkups.

The Chimay was chosen due to it's low spot on the totem pole out of the three regular brews they produce.  I read a few reviews of all of them after picking up a three-pack that happened to have a Chimay chalice in it.  I am short of beer-ware, and I decided that I wanted it.  I tend to be a sucker for gift packs like this.  I drink VERY little beer in a year, but my membership at the ultimate cigar forum gives me unlimited access to the various cultures dabbled in by our other members, and many of them seem to be rather into high alcohol-by-volume beers.  And this one was good.  It had, also ironically, a communion wine aftertaste that was delicious.  Outside of that it was just very good medium-dark beer, rich with tiny bubbles that replenished the tiny head, and a lot of great flavor that gave me quite a little buzz.  A little one, anyway.  But the tingle was there, and a little glow that made me thank the monks. 
I don't really rate non-cuban cigars, because mostly I just don't know what I am talking about.  It's impossible to stay on top of two worlds and even remotely know what you are talking about.  And when it comes to havanas, I know a lil sumpthin about electricity.  But I give this cigar the highest marks possible, right up there with the best products Padron is making these days.  Like I know about that either, lol.  I haven't smoked one since the late 90s.  But this cigar is aces, and I thank the man that sent it to me.

No comments: