Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cigar of the Year, lol

Everywhere you look on the internet, where people pretend to know what they are talking about when it comes to Habanos, people are picking their cigar of the year.  And since no one pretends to know what they are talking about more than me, why not pick one myself.  Complicating this effort is the fact that this blog is not about going out and buying the latest thing, or whoring myself out to manufacturers or vendors who send me the lastest thing to try.  Sorry sis, for using bad language.  So how does one go about picking the cigar of the year when you have only tasted three cigars date coded 2010?  Well, around here it's as simple as thinking back over the cigars I was most impressed with last year and just laying it out there.  The votes are in, it didn't take long as I was the only one voting.  It's also important to say that I don't care if the cigar was a 1998, it was eligible here, as this blog is mostly dedicated to aged cigars.  The cigar that performed the best, gave up the most smoke and tasted better than all others was the 4 dollar H. Upmann Coronas Major in tubos. 


I smoked five in all to come up with an aggregate review on it, and it rose head and shoulders above the Cohiba Robusto, Trinidad Robusto T, and dozens of other great cigars which failed to perform to expectations.  Over and over in 2010, I smoked legendary cigars that were not worth my time.  This cigar was WORTH MAKING TIME FOR. 
It's packaging makes it a great cigar to carry around, the attractive tubo has been re-designed competely to be a much better value aesthetically as well.  It offers up loads of creamy, rich smoke brimming with espresso, chocolate, roasted tobacco, tea, twang and more.  It's a mareva, which to me has always been the best cigar for a quick smoke that goes JUST that extra inch when you really want it and is totally pitchable when you don't.  The price ranges from a low of 2.80 to 6 dollars each depending on where you find them.
I will not go so far as to say that this is a better cigar than the Cohiba Robusto, but over and over it performed better than the one Cohiba Robusto I had in 2010, as well as the ONE Trinidad Robusto T  I had, both of which are held up as superior cigars.  But I will pull no punches when it comes to "Cigar of the Year" for the OLS Smokes Cigars blog.  The Coronas Major was the best cigar I smoked in 2010.  For a follower that asked, THANKS for asking about the date codes, I had assumed they were all 2010s.  Turns out they are only technically 2010s, they are date coded NOV 2009, lol.  Sorry for the mis-representation.

No comments: