Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

2005 Ramon Allones Specially Selected

This is not my favorite cigar, not by a long shot.  In all the time I have been smoking, I think I have burned through 2 boxes.  That's a significant number, because I think I have had two that I liked in all that time.  Some people really go for the "RASS", and I always hoped that one day I would find my way to an affinity for them.  But I am not going to just blindly continue throwing money at the problem.  So I have moved on and focused on other cigars.  And I can say further that I am no fan of robustos either.  But tonight I lit up a RASS hoping to move the needle a bit. 


This cigar has been sitting in a dark cedar box for 5 years now, (moved out of a dress box into cedar) and it was high time that somebody stepped up and performed.  And that's just what it did.  It cut cleanly, and I removed as little of the flat cap as possible, to prevent too airy a draw.  It was airy all right, but more on the medium side of loose.  It was rich and fruity and chocolatey and gave up way more smoke than I could use.  Everything about the cigar was astounding and satisfying.  The burn was quite good and the oily, chocolate brown wrapper glistened invitingly.  What a flavor bomb. 

This smoke hardly makes up for 48 mediocre cigars, but it is oh so good.  This is a cigar that experienced smokers always recommend to initiates to havana cigars, but it's hardly appropriate to do so.  New smokers are much better served by less robust smokes.  But when newbies ask for the best cigars, it's hard not to mention it.  The brightest are smart enough to ask about the best smokes for their level of experience.  And there are dozens to suggest.  But this cigar is strong and rich and saucy and not for the faint of heart.  It has a toasty dessert quality I love in a smoke.  Hints of espresso and chocolate mousse abound.  This is right up there with the best smokes I have had since the inception of this blog. 


This is a 91 point smoke.  While I can't recommend this as a box purchase because of it's spotty performance by the box, if you buy these in fivers, you can only hope you get a few like this.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Your experiences with this cigar mirror mine almost exactly. Except for the good 1 never had 1 of those.

Heiko Blumentritt said...

Glad to hear that you'd some like with those this time... I'm also a guy who really likes the RASS... and I always had good luck....