Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Settling in - El Rey del Mundo Demitasse 2012


These cigars began life in this country a little wet.  But I had to try one, I'd never done so before.  
Ehh.  I look like that flippin gymnast girl, not impressed. 
Not worth the trouble.  However, I DID have an idea that a box of absolutely crappy smokes might not have long to be crappy....speculating on pedigree alone.  So off they went to the dark place and above you see one that poked out of the humidor to watch me while I flossed.  I wheeled around and snatched it, cut it's head off and tortured it with fire at the foot.  It relented almost immediately and gave up a hint of honey and lemon that I got from the draw-test flavors that revealed themselves.  It was mild to medium, highly aromatic and pretty darn flavorful.  It had a very similar taste to the Tainos, the discontinued churchill from ERDM.  That was unexpected, completely so.  I didn't get to smoke any cigars in New Orleans last week, so I wanted to try something soon to make sure I didn't lose your interest in this blog.  Tough in the South.  Sure, we can smoke meat year round, and often do.  But smoking in the oppressive heat is just unbearable.  So I am glad to even have an opportunity to air the house and smoke some cigars while I do it.  My house is absolutely, terrorizingly dirty.  So smoke a few cigars, air out the joint, and maybe clean up some.....tomorrow.  



Pushed up the band on this one.  EVEN with me doing something I NEVER do, re-light a cold cigar, this one smoked deliciously to the end.  I was pretty impressed, as I usually am with all small cuban cigars.  They just really do it right.  Which likely means they are going to ruin it with slicing and dicing like they did with the panatelas.  But for now, I will ALWAYS put my money on Havana's small cigars.  Until they blow it, at least.  The cigar was almost as advertised, creamy like cafe au' lait and some sweet honey notes with a characteristic Rey del Mundo citrus that I also find in La Gloria Cubana.  These are always scarce.  You have to strictly monitor many multiple stores and KEEP coming back to check on them if you want them.  Your rivals scoop them up by the 5s and 10s of boxes every time they show.  It's not an emergency stocking item, but you really need to get em when you find em.

88 points, great little cigar.

No comments: