Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Opening up with a bang

The harsh weather abated a bit and I managed to smoke a cigar over the weekend.  I wanted to smoke three or four, but I got myself into a big project that took the entire weekend, 48 hours worth of eye-straining work.  So to make a part of it easier, I took out the two cigars I wanted to smoke over the weekend, without a doubt, and it was to re-smoke a few great cigars, namely the 05 Montecristo No. 5 and the 09 Romeo y Julieta Duke EL.  More on that one later.



The Monte 5 was stunning, dark and beautiful.  The wrapper was dry and rough and uniform in a WILD-looking dark wrapper as dark as coffee and smelled as fragrant.  I pinched a nib out of the cap and lit it up inside.  I had a few windows open and some fans working so I thought it was worth a shot.  I also couldn't give up the hour to loaf around and smoke.  I was working on a difficult project that took an entire weekend. As a result I smoked it up rather quickly, but this was a MOST elegant and well-behaved smoke.  The flavor was tangy and rich and dark and strong.  It burned ridiculously straight with a translucent dark gray ash.  It never gave a single moment of trouble and the flavor was so rewarding.  I stopped editing my little book many times to gaze at the smoke in wonder at why I don't have a truckload of these.  A fantastic smoke to begin fall with.  (90 points)  2007 Montecristo No.5 .

No comments: