Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

Punch Churchill 2000 - Working for the man

My boss was set to attend his 50th year class reunion this past weekend, and because I work for him in the capacity of audio-video guru, it was expected, and did in fact come to pass, that I would document the adventure on behalf of his classmates.  My boss does well and was excited to be able offer this service to his class.  He had already stepped in and had me design a logo and get it printed on ballons, napkins, cups and some drawstring knapsacks.  But this was going to be a HOT weekend, and the idea of following them all around dressed appropriately was not an inviting one.  I am a bit of a sweater, even in modest heat.  And this was NOT modest heat.  98+ every day. 

Anyway as luck would have it, I was put up at the Doubletree Inn and decided I would go out after Friday's festivities and smoke a cigar by the pool.  It brought back many old memories of my sisters and I getting absolutely delerious at the thought of stopping for the night at a motel with a pool, and hoping our mother could tolerate the summer heat enough to watch us play in the pool, which we did for absolutely as long as we could get away with. 

There were two little girls frolicking in the pool, and they did not mention being put out by my smoke of choice, a ten year old Punch churchill.  These are generally known to be mild cigars, and not much to speak of when they are old, in fact kind of wasted out.  But this one was very decent in terms of strength, and was loaded with good flavors of leather, toffee and a slight tea aftertaste, though not as stout as I prefer.  It burned very well, very straight, and very slowly.  The night air was ridiculously funky, and the girls would swim under the wall that partitioned the indoor and outdoor sections of the pool, taking turns playing sharks, doing handstands, jumping from the entry stairs and otherwise being kids.  They never once looked at me, and I made a point not to look at them, as they were under ten it seemed, and that would not be good in a world where everyone is a creep.  The smoke went on for over an hour, and near the band it became gassy and hot, so I left it on the fencepost near the parking lot for the cleanup crew to pick up the next day.  In terms of it's long haul performance, this cigar was as perfect as ten year old sticks come.  It was as good as any three year old stick, and was better than many of them I have had.  It was refreshing, laced with my favorite tea taste, and had a great body, with hearty smoke and interesting and constant flavor changes.  I was able to pick up on vanilla, pine, bread, coconut and a few random flavors I just couldn't place.  I couldn't have been more pleased with this cigar.  In fact, I do not think these are even made anymore.  The details are sketchy, but I think this is actually true.  I need to fact check.

Interesting in that when my boss found out (for the 4th time at least, lol) that I smoke cuban cigars, he was saying "All I want is ONE, just so I can say I HAVE a cuban cigar.  I gave him this cigar.  He said "Where does it say Cuba?", and I pointed out that it only said Habana.  He looked a little disappointed, so I went out to my car and got him a Cohiba Siglo II tubo from 2007 that ironically will likely not smoke as well as the Punch Churchill he traded out of.  Sad though, that when he wastes the Siglo by never smoking it, it will cost me ten bucks.  A LOT MORE than the Punch Churchill would end up being worth.  But in the end, as much as I revere the Cohiba, I think I got the better smoke for myself.   I rate this magnificent cigar at 92 points

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Thanks for letting me tag along on your one man herf! Sounds like a great cigar!