Search This Blog

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Vegas Robaina Clasicos 1999

This is such a great cigar, such a great size, and a great name, arguably as times have progressed.  Don Alejandro Robaina has passed on, and Hirochi Robaina is said to be taking over with a huge enthusiasm and dedication. 
But back to the cigar, a thing of beauty.  The smoke is a 'cervantes' factory size, and can generally be called a lonsdale.  One of my favorite sizes to be sure. 

Dark and oily and loaded with character.  It has a slight box press, but not much remains after having been cabinet-stored for 4-5 years.  A problem arises though, as I clip the cigar and fail to get much air. So I get a "brainy" idea to light the head and smoke through the foot.  But this sounded like a much better idea than it actually was.  I slid the band to the opposite end and tried it.  It lit fine, and I knew that as it burned past the hard spot at the band, it might take off.  And it certainly did. 


The unravelling of the wrapper I mean.  I knew better.  And yet I did it anyway.  So I got a daub of honey and rolled it back up.  It smoked fine despite the handicap I saddled it with.   This was a really strong and smooth, well-balanced smoke with stark coffee and nut tones.  The finish was generous and thick, coating the palate with a creamy, cool vanilla.  This continued from lighting to one inch burned.  It forged along a bit bolder and more rooted in toasted tobacco taste for most of it's length.  It would offer up hints of molasses, honey and herbs at times.   

The burn was perfect, even as the wrapper mistakes and sloppy repairs I made were patched up.  This is a highly recommended cigar.  This entire brand has good high points, but I find these the best of the best.  The Unicos are reputed to be fine, and lovers of double coronas will find excellence it the Don Alejandro.  The Famosos are some of the best robusto-sized cigars found in the 15 or so cigars of type Habanos offers.  This cigar, matured carefully for a decade, is a 91 point smoke.  It could have hit 93 had I smoked it properly. 

No comments: