Search This Blog

Saturday, December 11, 2010

1998 Punch Corona -

Seems like every December around the first third of the month, I pull these out for a delicious smoke.  And every one I have had has been fantastic until this one.  And I smoked this one without complaint.  But it was no great smoke.  But at the same time, this being the "Special Period" for US havana smokers, I tend to forgive the little things and focus on the fact that I am lucky to have it.  The first thing you notice is the beauty of the toothy wrapper.
This type of wrapper makes me a little excited.  For one thing you don't see them anymore, at least not very often.  Very little if any colorado in the color.  The toothiness means there is good oil in the wrapper to aid in combustion.  And it burned straight as an arrow.  The cigar is perfectly rolled, at lest in it's initial appearance.  A quick look at the foot however, shows that things may get a little tight.

That's an awful lot of tobacco in there.  The bunch is very even, though, not rolled up like a Temsco machine might do it.  And once she is lit, sure enough, there is little air coming through.  This greatly affects the flavor.  For those who are unfamiliar with the mechanics of taste in cigars, the taste does not come from the burning end.  Rather, the coal simply creates the smoke which travels through the bunch and warms the tobacco which releases oils and molecules that creaste the flavor you taste.  The flavor RIDES on the smoke through the cigar and the tobacco in the bunch filters it and loads it up with taste.  Class dismissed, lol. 
A cigar like this must still be appreciated because they are not making 98 Punch Coronas anymore.  In any box of havanas, a smoker must accept that 10% or so are going to be totally disappointing.  Or at least as disappointing as this one.   It smoked down to my usual lay-down point without going out.  It gave up mild and uninteresting smoke, tobacco flavor with a little musty oak and fine aged tobacco.  But outside of that, there is not much to reccomend here.  It's not like you can go out and buy these, so there is no harm in scoring it so low.  It won't affect sales.  And tonight, I will smoke the other one sitting in my humidor and balance out the review.  I am going to fire up the Jimmy Buffet and make myself a Strawberry Daiquiri with some 7 year old Havana Club Rum and salute the brothers of the leaf WAY down south.  I will also salute the "followers" here at the blog.  I really do not like that term.  They are friends, members, readers...not followers.  Disciples, sure, haha.  Thanks for showing up and reading this blog.  I do not advertise it outside of my little home in the crazy house, and still I end up with someone to read it.  I do not use advertising, because I do not LIKE to dig through all that junk in other people's blogs.  I thank Guugle for allowing me to present it without any advertising if I choose.  And frankly, I do not think there would be that much money involved with making it a going concern.  Not to mention, it would be wrong to profit from it, given the subject matter and the sensitivity of it.  So Thanks again to all.

2 comments:

Heiko Blumentritt said...

Nice review and pix, even though the smoke itself wasn´t as good as it could be....

Heiko

Jason said...

Never come across your "mechanics of taste in cigars" notion before. You're sucking in a lot more smoke than "oily molecules" so I assume a great deal of the flavor does indeed come from the smoke, but I'd like to read more about what you've stated... do you have any references?

party on wayne