Search This Blog

Monday, December 6, 2010

A tubo question

Now to a question on TUBOS that a member of the blog asked. "Do you take all of your tubed cigars out of the tube prior to smoking, to give them a bit of drying time?" Yes and no. A good tubo should be ready to smoke right out of the tube. The problem is that no human can be perfect, and especially havana torcedores seem to have trouble with consistency. So you can get a tight draw from a tubo now and again. But I think what I have found most true is that in most brands, a fresh and moist tubo tends to be a bit milder in flavor, and for more throttle response, you can dry them on a counter for a day or two and enjoy a totally different taste. It is best to try both methods and discover which condition suits your taste best. The best bit of info imparted to me, however, was that the blog member stocked up on the cigars in question and is in for a real treat. I have smoked hundreds of havanas and NEVER had a TRUE consistent performer until I ran into the H. Upmann Coronas Major Tubos.   The flavors in this cigar are truly remarkable.  Couple that with the fact that they are among the lowest-priced havanas available and you have a real gem.  Now, as I look back on the latest entries, this question could be pointed at statements I made concerning Magnum 46s in Tubos.  And really, either way would be a good buy.  I just recommend more the Coronas Majores due to the price being lower and the flavors really being a toss-up.  They are both FANTASTIC cigars with unique flavor profiles.  In fact, here's another tip on cheap flavor stars.  Fonseca Cadetes are very consistent and offer a unique havana flavor.  Cheaper than the HUCMTs.  And for an even better taste in Fonseca, go for the No. 1.  And as always, buy two or three boxes.  You will not be sorry.

1 comment:

James said...

Very cool, thanks for responding to my question! I definitely agree that any tubo should be able to be smoked right out of the tube, but in practice your answer of yes and no holds more true.

My recent interest in tubos stems from recent NO SMOKING restrictions going up all around me. In response I now carry cigars around with me all of the time, just in case the opportunity arises.

I am looking forward to how these HUCM tubos develop.