Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Le Hoyo de Dieux

After reading a thread today on the greatest cigar forum on the internet, I thought about how strange it was that I never saw this cigar the way most other people do.  I love the idea of a complex, dynamic cigar that "smells like a bonfire of exotic woods."  But the one or two I smoked tasted like cigars, and smelled like 'em too.  I can't figure out if it's the supreme hype over the greatness of these, or if it's that they win the le Hoyo prize by default, or if people read great reviews of them and then decide that they too taste greatness, not unlike the viewers of the Emperor's New Clothes.  Gosh, does anyone even know what that means anymore?  Barney has led our youth around by the nose for so long it's hard to imagine any of them have heard these myths, fables, proverbs or allegories, whatever the heck The Emperor's New Clothes happens to be.
But I do not like to cast aspersions on the tastebuds of others, since mine are so poor and beaten down from decades of smoking.  And two cigars of 00 vintage is hardly a representative sampling.  But tonight I am going to give it another shot and see if it's just me or is this cigar not all it's cracked up to be.  And for the record, I think the de Depute is the marquis cigar in the le Hoyo line, anyway. :)

No comments: