Search This Blog

Friday, July 16, 2010

00 Le Hoyo de Dieux and the big downpour

I dryboxed my de Dieux because of the miserable performance of the Bolivar Coronas Gigantes.  Dryboxed it for two days.  The I did the dumbest thing.  I walked outside for my evening walk, a 3.5 mile Bataan Death March through 98 degree heat and 90% humidity.  But it was 80 and cool and breezy?  Wierd, but threatening rain.  Mistake one is NEVER smoke a cigar while walking, at least if you are as out of shape as I am.  Mistake two is never smoke in the rain while walking. 
I did both. 
The first half of the cigar was delicious, with creamy and sweet, woody notes.  It ran a little bit, due I guess to the fact that it was laying on the counter.  I think the surface touching the counter for two days burned slower. 
And then the rain started.  A nice drizzle at first.  I was walking through the best neighborhood on my route.  It started out in front of Rhodes College, an institution dating back to 1848.  I then turned left into a subdivision called Hein Park, half million dollar and up homes and ancient trees.  And pouring rain.
But I actually nubbed the cigar, from cupping it in my hand and at other times protected by the brim of my cap.  The cigar was no longer tasting like anything but harsh yuck.  But it was the novelty of the thing.  Hoping people in their cool, dry homes could see me smoking in the pouring rain.  As I exited the subdivision, I tossed the nub into the gutter and made the second half of my journey chuckling as I walked with my head held high in a driving rain.  As I entered the tree covered walkway past the college, the rain turned to a drizzle and then stopped as I got back near home.  I mentioned to a couple of old ladies chatting on a porch that I thought it might rain.    This smoke rated 85 for the first half and will not be forced to account for it's poor second half performance.  I will smoke one right out of the box tonight to REALLY be fair to this excellent little cigar. 

On it's 'pro' side, this is the PERFECT cigar size.  No question about it.  It's smaller than a churchill, thicker than a lonsdale, longer than a corona.  Others may dispute the perfection, but I can't think of a vitola I enjoy more.  I like a piramide, too, but 1st place has to go to this cigar shape.

No comments: