Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Works 70% of the time, EVERY time. RA Petit Corona

After a BAD run of cigars over the past 4-5 entries, I HAD to change the  narrative around here.  I had been given a Ramon Allones Petit Corona by a great friend at the world's greatest herf up in Ohio in the summer of 2012.  



The cigar looked great, and it was a mareva, to me the perfect smoke.  I used to think the way the industry men down in Cuba do, that it was the CORONA (or the lonsdale), but increasingly for me, its the PETIT corona, the common name for the size known as a mareva in the rolling gallery.  its just a perfect draw and smoking duration.  I tend to get quite bored with a cigar around halfway to begin with.  I like the combination of attributes in the mareva for that very reason.  If I DO get bored halfway, at least I am not pitching away half a churchill.  But in general, a mareva allows me to smoke 2/3 of the stick before I get bored, or it gets hot, or the TV show I want to watch comes on.

The Ramon Allones Petit Corona is DARK and oily, with a slight box press and just begging to be lit.  the band slides easily up and down for a half-inch in either direction, telling me this cigar has been around awhile.  And after checking into my suite at the Asylum, I was informed that I DID NOT get this at the Shack, but it was sent to me by Scott last year, thanks so much Scott.  I had forgotten for a moment.

It lit quickly and to make sure I did not have any issues, I cut it quite severely.  I cut the slightest snip off of the Duke I smoked the other day, and while I doubt the poor draw was owing to the CUT, I was not taking any chances.  I got a lightly firm draw and proceeded downstairs with a LARGE, frosty white russian I had just shaken up.  I did not make it in the Jimmy Buffet machine, it was packed in a box.  But it was odd for me to even MAKE such a drink.  I have more liquor in my house than my lifestyle would suggest.  I did not waste any time as a younger man pouring liquor down my gullet.  I would often show up for church on Sunday mornings and I would have alcohol aspirating into the air through my pores.  A bit hypocritical if you ask me.  But that was a difficult time in my life.  Nowadays, I have liquor on hand in case someone drops by or I have a party, neither of which has happened for 10 years.  But from time to time in this blog, I DO like to have a drink with a smoke like most people DO.  And as luck would have it, I had the makings of this on hand after my summer trip to the Smokies.  

Where the hell was I??  Ah, yes, a cigar.  The cigar looked great, and the initial draws as I walked down the stairs to get my lawn chair were great.  This was going to be a front porch special.  The back yard where the pond is is a perfect smoking spot but for RALPH.  Ralph is like any other dog, he needs love and gets little.  I come home from work and give him a treat and scratch under his head and go upstairs.  He is not my dog.  So when I come down to smoke a cigar, he expects me to devote my time to scratching him and paying attention to him.  Luckily he is NOT a retriever.  I ask him where his ball is, and he goes and finds it and gets in his house to chew on it.  He does NOT fetch, nor does he want to play in any way when it comes to his ball.  So the poor sucker, when I have had enough play and want to smoke and relax, I ask him where his ball is and he is off to find it and chew on it until it dawns on him 30 minutes later that he has been tricked.  Then its a few pats on the head and some love and I can do the same thing all over again.  But tonight I just want to smoke the cigar and observe the change from 68 degrees to 38 degrees in a matter of hours.  Outside it is warm and moist.  Hard times ahead tonight.  Those two air masses will NOT get along.

The cigar is perfect.  It draws well, tastes superb.  I get traces of black cherry, honey, smoke, spice and herbs.  NOT unlike a Small Club Corona, but rounder and a little more interesting.  The mouth feel of the smoke is great, too, nice and moist with a cool, minty nature to it.  It burns in a very well-behaved fashion, and when it ashes it continues to burn right along without difficulty.  Around halfway I issue it an ultimatum, continue on in the same manner and I am done, change and become more interesting and I will smoke it to the band.  And as if to answer me directly, it goes out and I have to scrape the ash from the end and re-light it and when I do, I am greeted by a flavor of teacakes and almond cookies, with a buttery character that I am not sure I have ever tasted in such a context.  I have used the term buttery several times here, but in such close relation to this shortbread-type teacake flavor, its impressive.  Grandma's Teacakes, the ones she would bring around in a pillowcase, lol. (inside joke for many).  All in all a great little smoke.  Wish I had 3-4 boxes on hand instead of a one-off.


No comments: