Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sad Week, big score...

I got a call from my mother regarding the death of  my Uncle Edgar over the weekend.  My family is so scattered and so far from Louisiana that its not possible that they make all the funerals that arise from a LARGE family as our favorite aunts and uncles get older.  But I am not SO FAR away that I can't take time off work if I have it to spare and get down there are rep the family.  My uncle Edgar prided himself in being a great host.  And a great singer, too, but let's just cover the hosting.  If our relatives from up north came down, they may have stayed with other relatives, but he made sure to always throw a HUGE crawfish boil or some other event for them so that they knew they were down the bayou for sure.  And then we would take the 40 minute drive over there, too and bask in the glory of the yankee relatives we loved so much.  It as always quite the bash.  He always had a giant smile on the giant face on the top of his giant body.  He had a comical face and a comical demeanor.  He was a really great guy.  But like many big guys, his heart gave out in the end.  Not to mention he didn't miss many good cajun meals.  He as not a FAT man, he was just a BIG man.  So I got up at 2 am and drove 7 hours to go and extend my condolences to his family.  His wife was my dad's sister.  My dad's been gone a LONG time now, but that's another story.  I saw many of my relatives that I normally do not see unless someone dies.  And sadly, we get together every couple of years now.  So as I drove back home, I figured Pontchatoula, LA was as far north as I dared drive and still expect to be able to find a shrimp po-boy.  It's north of Lake Pontchartrain, and almost to Mississippi.  I exited the interstate and drove through a few red lights and finally came upon "BOOTSY's Gas & Deli."  Never been there, but any deli in that town ought to have po-boys.  As luck would have it, they had 6 kinds.  And that's all it takes to assure me at LEAST a shrimp po-boy, and MAYBE an oyster po-boy.  I COULD eat two, but I knew I would save one for work tomorrow.  I tore open the double-wrapped delicacy on crusty french bread and I swear, as soon as the cruise control was set, I man-handled that thing.  It did not make the state line.  A ten inch fried shrimp po-boy, gone in 20 miles....while driving.  And as they sang in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, "There's ALWAYS Tomorrow.".............



Well I can edit this post now, just finished the last bite and I am sure glad I saved this one for last.  Even warmed over it was spectacular.  I should have picked up that sack of oysters when I was down there.  And now I KNOW I am going to pick up a sack over the Mardi Gras weekend that I will be down.

No comments: