Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

Rafael Gonzalez Coronas Extra 1999

People continue to smoke the last of their vintage smokes that they picked up at a discount over several years during a sale that seems like it took place eons ago.  And what the heck, it DID happen in another century.  In fact, these smokes were also rolled in another century.  And yet it goes on.  Titanic references dominate the news in this anniversary year, and the heart of this cigar does indeed go on.  A nearly 15 year old cigar should not taste this fresh and delicious.


I lit the smoke after pinching a bit of a divot out of the end with my thumb and fore-fingernails.  It drew an acceptable but tight amount of air, which proved to be acceptable for this smoke.  It would later exhibit a tendency to go out, but I got a little talky out by the pond, and perhaps I neglected it a little.  The smoke was excellent.  It was sweet, tangy, and had lots of tea and twang flavors which are my personal favorites among your havana flavors.  The smoke burned well throughout it's length.  I took TERRIBLE photos while smoking, the focus is just not there.  But bad photos are better than none in a blog setting, so enjoy them if you can.

The cigar was lightly oiled, perfectly rolled, smooth and attractive.  It was a darker than normal shade with hints of ruddy colorado.  The ash was well-behaved and everything about the smoke throughout it's length simply added to the pleasure the cigar gave me.  It is safe to say that this is the best of the cigars I have smoked from my two boxes over the past 5 years.  I get pretty emotional when I reach the end of any box of good smokes, but these are particularly painful to see go as they were aged to perfection, and are quite hard to find these days.  The entire Rafael Gonzalez line seems to be going dodo on us.  It's one of those brands that people will wake up one day and realize is missing, and be the worse for it.



If you can find these, I am torn in advising what to do.  In normal terms these cigars have a solid reputation of being tightly rolled and tough to enjoy, but when they are well made, they are the clear favorite of the line.  However, many people who enjoy lonsdales actuallyprefer the Lonsdale of Rafael Gonzalez, and I am certainly one of those people.  But these cigars have been a real surprise and a treat to smoke.  It is astonishing that this cigar is so old.  It tastes like it could be a five year old smoke, perhaps even a three year old smoke.  Just astonishing.   You just don't get that in cigars outside of Cuba.  This is where the hype comes from, I guess.    This cigar ranks a solid 91 points.

1 comment:

Heiko Blumentritt said...

A very good smoke imho... and the price was really good a few years back...