Search This Blog

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Another crack at Diplomaticos No.5

Smoked a few of these over the last few years of this blog, kind of a hit and miss proposition, but I think it might be wrong of me to expect Diplomaticos No.4 performance out of these.  nahh.

Fired one up today, a decent looking cigar, decided to pinch a divot out of the end with the fingernails rather than cutting it, it did not make me pay the price, and it drew air well, so off we go.


There was a slight hint of good things to come, a little of the oft-cited, seldom-tasted cuban tobacco twang.  A bold package of strong smoke and long finish on the tongue, but not a lot of individual flavors to detect.  Hints of leather, char, a little tea.  The cigar is perfectly humidified with a nice even and slow burn.  It burns through halfway without changing much at all.  It is a good cigar without any really outstanding flavors.  There are occasional hints of black cherry and woody varieties, I detected a juniper freshness and astringency and an oaky, dank taste.


As you can see, it really burned well, perfectly behaved and never ceased to provide a nice mouthful of smoke.  Out of the three that I have smoked for this blog, this one is in the middle.  It is not the horrible smoke I had fresh from the new box.  But neither is it the redeemer that came a few months ago that made a liar out of me.  I really thought they would never be very good, and I said as much.  These are just too inconsistent to give any kind of definitive review on. 


As this one began to tick away, there came a sudden increase in power and a little bit of piney tang and hints of tarry chocolate and leather.  A good but strange cigar.....75 points

No comments: