Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2011

Smoking more of the fakes

I have a friend in the cigar fraternity who sent me a box of cigars in lieu of cash one day, and I was glad to get them.  When the cigars are Edicion Limitada 2010 Montecristo Grand Edmundos, why not?  But while I trust my friend, apparently I can't trust his vendor. 


In the first MGE EL 2010 post in this blog, there was a beetle hole in one of them.  Now there are beetle holes in ALL of them....MULTIPLES.  So again, because I honestly believe that no modern Habanos cigars should be hatching beetles under proper storage conditions, I have no doubt that these are fakes.  On forums I get a lot of guff about this theory, but on my blog I can say what I please.

So tonight I am going to smoke another one.  First it should be said that I don't even really like these cigars.  They are giant, round sticks with an airy draw.  And the beetle holes are not going to help the airy part.  So let's take a look at what's left of the box.  The flash brightens the wrapper a bit, they are not this light.


So it lights up slowly but evenly, which is pretty important with any large cigar.  You need to really light a fat cigar well or you are going to have problems all the way down to the nub.  Oftentimes even touching the cigar up periodically will not help.  It all starts at the foot.  Light em right. 

It does not immediately TASTE like a fake, in fact were I handed this cigar out of the blue, outside of a little youth, I would not think anything was out of the ordinary with the flavor.  It tastes a lot like a Hoyo Epicure No.2, which people might think, "Hey, there you go.."  Not with me.  I hate those crappy smokes, haha.   But it's not a terrible smoke yet.  It should be noted that box, bands, embossing...all look fine, no trouble with my eye wanting to pick this cigar apart.  Holding a finger over the beetle holes allows me to draw a very decent amount of smoke through the cigar.  If I don't, there is no draw.  One thing that does not look right is the sloppy cap.  On almost any other type of havana cigar I would have concerns about that, but with this EL wrapper, it's all they can do to just get it to look like a cuban cigar and not a San Andres Valley second.  The smoke is slightly sweet, pretty medium-strong, leaning toward strong, and a slight flavor of tea and a little twang.  There is a touch of creaminess to be found, but nothing on the whole to get excited about.  The stick is very firm along it's length, yet very light, but not spongy at all.  This COULD be a major league smoke in a blind test with the holes patched.  At the half-inch mark I taste a hint of beetle-ass.  Not a bad burn at all, a little shaggy due to the standard H2000-type wrapper, harvested from the corona leaves to boot, so it's really thick and oily.


My argument or complaint with the cigar is there is nothing really special about it.  This could be as cuban-esque as it wants to be and still be a fake.  It may smile and smile and yet be a villain.  It could be rolled on some guy's table with his own tobacco and boxed in the readily available pilfered boxes with pilfered labels and bands.  This is my leaning at this point.  It is cuban, but how authentic?  These guys don't freeze or vacuum crush their tobacco or cigars.  No one who knows about these smokes would deny that at best, they are gray market to begin with.  The tobacco is not tasting all that great, nor the blend.   Tough call on these.  I have no questions in my mind that they are not what they are supposed to be.  These HAVE to be better than this.  Everyone who has had them finds them excellent, most would say better than the Montecristo Sublimes of several years ago.  I would love to send these to people, but I wouldn't want to taint their supplies with beetle potential. 


What these smokes DO say to me is that I don't think the cubans are getting enough credit for how well they are currently CONTOLLING beetles in their Habanos products.  I do not keep my cigars in the best of conditions when it comes to temperature.  I TRY, but in the peak of the southern summer, it's difficult and expensive.  And yet again, I have never had a single beetle hatching incident in over twelve years of keeping stock.  This box must have hatched 4-5 dozen.  I mean, look at the DUST they created.  I have crushed a few dozen myself at various times upon opening the box. 


But now I have gotten to the point where I will not be holding the holes closed anymore, and I am hoping that the cigar improves in flavor as I KNOW it will in it's burn.  It gives me a chance to sip the smoke and probe for flavors.  Indeed it does improve quite a bit.  The power continues unabated but is softer in it's flavor.  But still there is just not much there. 

So in the end, what has any of this meant?  If this was a review of the Grand Edmundo, it might be worth something.  As it is, I am not in any way further assured that these are not fakes.  Not a negative reflection on my friend at all either.  Just not good cigars.  I am going to smoke ONE MORE in the distant future, perhaps over New Years.  Maybe these are sick.  They sure aren't good.  Once the cigar butt cooled, I disassembled it and found no glaring evidence of standard fake cigar pedigree.  A FEW scraps, but mostly long leaf filler of varied shade and grade.  Inconclusive, but with credit, nothing I saw made me think they were illegitimate.  What I wanted was a sheer sign to support my theory.  I didn't get it.

So on a theme, I will also smoke another under-whelming cigar that others find a darling.  Tomorrow for LSU-Tennessee, I will have a Trinidad Robustos T.

2 comments:

Heiko Blumentritt said...

They don't look really like fakes to me... beetle holes are no indication for fakes. I opened a box of cigars in a LCdH in Havana and the El Morros inside looked like flutes... it CAN happen anywhere even though it shouldn't happen.

JumpAZ said...

Had the same problem with some Cohiba Siglo IV's that I got in '07. Beetles hatched as soon as I let the humidor get a little too warm. They were from a Davidoff store so I am almost certain they are legit. They taste just like they should...but with holes. My trick is to put a little piece of cigarette rolling paper just over the hole...like you would a little piece of tissue over a shaving cut :) Now I keep all my smokes at a constant 68 degrees in a wine cooler and have had no problems since.