Search This Blog

Saturday, May 14, 2011

El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme 2007

I have been wanting to smoke one of these for some time, but never got around to it.  I have had the cigar before, but these were new, and I was curious as to how they were acting.  I selected a hideous one and clipped it yesterday, but something, ah yes, the intense heat, kept me from lighting it indoors.  I had no intention of venting all my A/C air out the window.  But today, somehow, in the middle of May, a cold front blew through, and man was it cool.  I put a pork shoulder picnic on the smoker and messed around with that all day, and this evening sat down and had my first Westmalle Triple in a kind of a unique glass.
Ahhh, shameless self promotion at it's tastiest. 

So already clipped, I lit up the Choix Supreme and began the odyssey.  At first it was delicious, but without all of the richness of the cigars I remember.  This smoke was dry, like champagne, and although there was a fantastic aroma and a flavor of light coffee with barely any cream, the smoke was a bit linear in taste through the first inch.  It went very well with the ale, as they shared a light 'hoppiness' and a short finish.  The ale actually had a long finish, delicious and light while also heavy in flavor.  The cigar burned like some kind of Frankenstein, just all over the place, half burned tobacco left in the wake of the burn up to an inch or more, just absolutely confounding even efforts to re-light it.  The smoke was good, but the burn and overall experience was just awful.  The taste was good but not not as rich and creamy as most of the Choix Supremes you will run across over the course of your life.  Not bad, just not what I had hoped for this evening.  And on the heels of the highest score ever on my blog a few weeks back, I am about to give the LOWEST.  An embarassing 68 points. 

No comments: