Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Cohiba Siglo IV 2006

Man, I have forgotten where this cigar came from, I think I got it a few years ago from a friend at a herf.   This is a corona gorda, literally a fat corona.  It is the same dimensions as the H. Upmann Manum 46 and the Punch Punch.  Generally speaking, about 5 and a half inches at 46 ring gauge.  This is probably the most popular vitola in the habanos smoking world, although that is entirely debatable.   Certainly as many or more like the petit coronas best.  Count me in the latter group.  It lit quite slowly and started out mild-medium in body. 
There were aromas of apple pie and the taste was a lot like a cinammon roll, a bit yeasty and notes of spices and nuts.  The cigar burned slowly but straight, and the draw was fine.  Approaching the middle of the smoke, the cigar became much stronger with deep leathery and spicy flavors with a little dark chocolate and coffee. 
Little hints of cheap wine popped in now and then, not that I have had a lot of that.  I am guessing a cross between mimeograph solution and grapes?  Once it got near the band, I popped the band off and began to smoke this one within an inch of the end.  It never went off like a lot of cigars do near the end of the smoke, so I couldn't see any reaason to stop.  One negative; it made me quite queasy as I got ready to let it go, indicating I was 2-3 puffs late in putting it to bed. 
This was not a great cigar, but it was very good.  Had I paid for it myself,  I would have been slightly disappointed.  It is not a cheap cigar.  But it never really distinguished itself, although it had certain flashes of brilliance.  If I was forced to rate it, I'd give it an 87.

No comments: