Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

WHAT?? More Non-habanos?

SHOCKING!!  Yes, I smoked some non-habanos cigars last weekend and it went as expected, not so hot.  I was marginally satisfied with an Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente robusto.  It had a harsh taste overlaying a smooth buttery base.  Schizoid to say the least, but in defense of the cigar, I was smoking ribs and beef neckbones in the dark while smoking the cigar.  This was also a bundled cigar which is not the usual packaging for this vitola and had something to do with the way the cigar performed.  Nevertheless, I smoked it down to a nub. 

There were a few high points where the smoke provided good flavor of the kind associated with a Fuente product.  But in general it was not anything I would ever buy at a store again.  It's wrapper burned with a constant flakiness which is never good in a cigar, although even after 20+ years of smoking cigars, I am still not sure why that happens.  It aggravates me though, as the pieces tend to fly down and hit my keyboard and disappear underneath it, or do other annoying things. 

I also smoked an Omar Ortez Original.  They were bought to send to the troops, so the taste was not important to me per se', but I did want to at least be able to tolerate them before handing 50 or more of them over to guys in the military.  I spent some time in the service and never had to fight in a war.  In an odd way I am intensely jealous of that experience, and in a more rational way, I am glad that I never had to face that test.  I am not scared of being shot at, I am much more worried about how I would perform under the conditions they face daily.  Put it this way, when they ask for maxipads and baby wipes and cotton socks, it doesn't take me a second to know I would be miserable there.  I get whiney when  have the slightest tinge of diaper-rash or as men call it, chafing (and worse)  But I sweat like a PIGG!  I used to get laughed at as a young worker in New Orleans, stacking french fries and fried mushrooms in the freezer at the restaurant I worked in, and the girls would LAUGH at me, "That boy be up in a freezer, and STILL sweatin his ass off." So as they say, bless you boys, have a cigar. 

Where the hell was I??

Oh yeah, Omar Ortiz Originals.  This is a cigar that reminds me of why I love havana cigars.  I smoke a fair amount of habanos, but am rarely overcome by strong tobacco.  The best tobacco in the world is not strong, it is complex and sweet and mild......ish.  The OOO cigars are stout!  I have heard many smokers tell of weak knees and cold sweats and nausea.  While I had none of those in the strictest sense, it left a mark on me to be sure.  This is a Nicaraguan puro, which to me should be great.  Outside of cuban tobacco, my favorite is Nicaraguan.  It's wonderful peppery and sweet smoky quality has hypnotized me for years.  I guess i am just spoiled by Padrons, that are masterworks of Nicaraguan blends.  Sometimes, it's just strong and crazy.  And some people LOVE the strong stuff.  The problem with smokes like this though, it seems to me as if there is a symphony tuning up at the top of its's power and I am listening for the music, but it's just too LOUD and disorganized.  Granted this was smoked right off the truck as the expression goes.  I DID dry-box it for a day or two, but it was really something.  I am sure there was nuance there for someone with a tougher palate, or more expert at distinguishing anything above the din of power.  I will say it looks great, smells great, smokes great, burns and draws great.  Outside of that, I hope I have not offended the troops with these.  I am not going to try and rate either one.  The Chateau Fuente is a legend in it's own right, and the OOO is rarely if ever panned in online reviews or forums.  Thankfully, I love me some habanos.

No comments: