Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Bolivar Coronas Gigantes revisited

The first swing with this bat was a few months back, wow, maybe 5-6 months back.  Time really flies when you are pushing drivel.  I am always trying to avoid smoking fresh cigars, I feel like no havana cigar is ready to smoke for two years at least.  I like 3-5 even better.  But the times they are a changing, and I read daily about someone's fantastic experience with fresh cigars.  People's opinions that I trust.  So I took a shot at a Boli Coronas Gigantes within a week of it's arrival.  Bleh.  Not good.  Once again my philosophy is upheld.  But being right doesn't always make sense.  Fresh Bolivars are among the greatest of all havanas.  And this one will help explain why.

The BCG is a Julieta 2 vitola, what's better known as a churchill.  It's a full 7 inches long with a decent ring gauge of 47.  I prefer Bolivars of much smaller size, like Petit Coronas and Coronas Junior.  But this cigar offers up everything I expect in a fresh Bolivar.  A palette of sweet and tangy delights, a little sour, in a good way.   There is leather and a little sweet spice.  The smoke, like the draw, is stingy. 

The cigar was heavy for it's size, and very firm.  The burn was very straight.  Well...angled, but straight, if that's possible.  What I mean is that it did not have a ragged edge as it burned along.  The flavor stayed pretty linear throughout the smoke, but this is pretty common with fresh cigars.  If anything, it improved from medium bodied to full and added some coffee and cream notes in the heavy smoke. 

The end of the smoke was pretty stout with the return of the nicotine blearies of the Cohiba robusto from last night.  But it redeemed the cabinet of Bolivar Coronas Gigantes which were previously not worth smoking more than a few inches of.  This smoke ws taken to within 3/4 of an inch from the band and laid down for good.  This cigar, 86 points.

No comments: