Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Too good to pass up.

I keep running into perfect times to smoke some 2010 H. Upmann Coronas Major that I came across that I was sure were going to be project cigars, just too young to waste, and they performed variably right out of the tube, and strong when dried.  I was sitting down at the Flying Saucer waiting for a friend to join me for a beer, and I look up and see in chalk, "If you HEART cigars, HEART em outside."  At a location nearby, there is a smoking section for cigars, and I appreciate that.  I don't appreciate the policy at this location, however, as dusk begins to fall.   A long bank of scattered clouds covers the last of my warm face-sun as I smoke this cigar outside like the bums insist.  WOW.  What a fantastic cigar  Plenty of strength and super-charged coffee elements and sweet hay.  As it burned a bit more, NONE of the flavors went away, they just piled on like the Bremen-town Musicians.  Cocoa and vanilla, chocolate, herbs, toasted bread and meat.  Really a well blended smoke.  Perfect burn even in the wind.  Yes there was wind, and temps were heading down overnight into the mid and high 30s.  But right then it was hanging in around 58.  This actual cigar was an easy 93 and really pulled up the average for the whole survey of four I have had over the past 30 days or so.

To me this is a cigar with huge potential.  I would try to find some and get a few boxes before the bosses find out how good these handmade marevas are.  This is one of those mysterious cigars that were inconsistent as  machine-mades;  they were just as good as bits of mixed filler can allow you to be, but no more.  TODAY, these handmade cigars, along with the Super Partagas are just wholly re-invented as good representatives of the delights of one marca or another.  You taste a Super Partasgas today and you get a cigar that approaches the vaunted Charlotte for pencil-sized stunners.  Less power, but hinting at it.  I'm sure there are more than a few formerly machine-made cigars that are perfect strangers to people everywhere in their hand-rolled form, now the only form available.  I wish they would start a Partagas Perfecto handmade version of the old machine-made superhero.  That'd sell.

1 comment:

James said...

Do you carry these around in the tubes? I thought I remember you saying that they needed to have some drying time before they were ready to smoke, so I am curious if you are pulling them out of the tube before you take them with you.

As an aside, your success with these has lead me to procure as many boxes as I can find...I am happy to say that I am enjoying them as well.