Search This Blog

Saturday, November 20, 2010

2008 H. Upmann Magnum 46 Tubo

One of the all-time popular habanos of the modern era, the Magnum 46 is possibly the biggest love/hate cigar in the catalogue.  Many people swear by it as one of the best, just as many think it's overrated, has a weird taste and they just don't like them.  This cigar was fantastic.  It slipped out of the tube a bit moist.  When I pinched a divot fromt he head, it was extremely soft and spongy.  Not the cigar, just the cap.  I thought that might be a problem.  I usually try to dry a cigar like this out, but I was ready to smoke, and it just could not be helped.  It fired up a bit slow as expected, but I was greeted by a rush of twangy delicious tobacco taste, with a side note of tea.  At times during the smoke, it would go completely off of the flavor train and go all creamy.  Just spectacular complexity and taste.  Even burn, but extremely slow.  My inattention led to a few relights, but these did not affect the flavor in a negative way.  It gave up a ton of smoke and flavor.  This tends to make me believe that I have been a little late to the Upmann party.  I just finished one of the best cigars I have had in 2010, a 2010 Upmann Corona Major.  Chalk up another one, this Magnum 46 tallies a 90 without even trying.

No comments: