Search This Blog

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Revisiting Montecristo Petit Edmundo

Well I had a chance to smoke the Montecristo Petit Edmundo a few times over the last month.  I have had quite a bit of trouble with the cigar that one particular fired, Cigar Aficionado editor spent a year trying to get to marry him.  Turns out the Petit Edmundo likes guys with jobs. 


I enjoyed one at the Shack Herf in August, just as perfect a Montecristo as is possible with such a ridiculous ring gauge.  Lots of medium bodied tobacco with steroidal tea flavors and a generous helping of cocoa.  Had one just a moment ago on my porch, and it was half a great cigar and another half of airy, fat, useless draws of no smoke.  Sigh.

Would it be so hard to make 25 cigars in a box that were almost SIMILAR?  Sometimes just ashing a tempermental cigar is enough to spoil the party.  It was perfect until I ashed it.  But I am not about to kid ya.  I would be embarassed if I was once the world-wide standard of perfection and good taste and now I had an entire habano-lovin population agin' me.  Make no mistake, the raw materials are there.  Someone just needs to excercise some standards of minimal skill level in the rolling business.  Granted, you have a giant- scale failure of the commie-nist ideal in full progress down there.  I am not sure I would take all that much pride in my work if it had absolutely nothing to do with my value to the "company".  People need to earn a living based on their job skill and believe that what they put into it is going to matter in whether or not their "company" survives.  Sorry Fidel and Raul, you guys have a lot to learn about earning a living in the world.  And all of your people have to pay the price for your stubbornness.  As much as I hate to say it, you can still crush the opposition, and have a decent economy.  You can still throw people in jail forever and be a trade darling across the world.  You don't have to fix everything at once, just read a Economics textbook and follow the simple instructions.

No comments: