Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2013

2nd Long n Skinny, La Gloria Cubana Medaille dOr No.3 (2002)

After such a great victory finally getting a great smoke out of the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur no.1, I was happy to cut and light the second skinny smoke of the weekend, this great little La Gloria Cubana smoke.  As the Partagas was a real first for me, the day I finally smoke the Medaille d'Or No. 1 will be a first as well.   But for now, I get to smoke the No.3 again.  One way of setting this up is to say that I have never had a bad No.3, after having about a half dozen.  Spoiler alert.....today would not be the first bad one.



Today I decided to bundle up a bit and head downstairs to see if I could get the birds to ignore me long enough to get some photos while the ate me out of house and home.  It didn't take long, and the real challenge was getting Ralph to chill out by himself long enough to quit scaring the birds.  I asked him to bring me his ball, which you might remember from previous posts, always makes him go straight to his doghouse to PREVENT me from getting the ball.  This works well in peaceful smoking, but today served the birds well, too.  Today was the first time I have seen Goldfinches at my feeders, I am sure they have been there before, but I am working during most of the time they are feeding.  Seeing them today really tripped me out.  I did manage to get a great shot of a House Finch, too.  He and his wife.  The camera I used does not like to focus at the long end of the zoom, so I had to manually focus, which is always a challenge with MY eyes.

But back to the cigar.  Another tremendous smoke, amazing again, how something so thin can taste so great.  A lot of cedary, creamy flavor, with a stark citrus note that is so refreshing.  The burn was great, too, even though the wind had the thing rolling off the table every time I put it down for a second.  Hard to take pictures with one hand holding a cigar.  These cameras are OK, but I am not overly impressed with the Fujifilm HS-20EXR.  OK, let me re-phrase that.  I am impressed, but I do not like it better than the camera I turned on to the repair shop, which came back as another model after Hurricane Sandy severely damaged Fujinon's NY/NJ facility.  It does not like to focus, you have to fight with it so damn much.

OK, back to the cigar AGAIN.  Jeez its like I have A.D.D. or something.

What was I talking about, again?

Another razor straight burn, outstanding draw, took a ton of abuse and kept on bringing the delicious flavor.  I even walked around the yard and worked with it in my mouth which I never do and it did not get nasty.  These are great little cigars, good luck finding either one of the panatelas I smoked this weekend.  And I really DO mean that.  FIND THEM, do what you have to do and get even just a fiver of either one.  You won't be disappointed.  Metric tons of delicious citrus, tangy, creamy flavor, and a very distinct, clean profile.  A yummy 92 points.


No comments: