Search This Blog

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Smoking things on Saturday

No one has to tell me that I have slovenly habits these days with the blog.  Embarrassing is not really a good enough word.  But there is no sense in saying much about it if I am willing to do the hard work of smoking a cigar to bust out of the rut.  Today I flash-cooked about 6 thin cut pork chops.  I would never buy such a thing had they not been marked down to a buck-fifty.  They cooked in a minute or two, then I laid in a heap of coals and fired up some chicken legs.  They had been marinating in some Goya Chipotle Mojo sauce, and I put a few nice chunks of apple wood on top of the coals once they got ready to roll.  




Then I popped the cap off of a Delerium Tremens, and cut and lit a 2006 Montecristo Edmundo.  I spent most of last Saturday cleaning all of fall out of my fish pond, and it was only now looking good again after a week of settling.  All was right in the world. 




The smoke settled in to a nice thin, blue wisp and I realized how alike the pit and my Edmundo were at that time.  The Montecristo was mild, yet flavorful, a bit thin on flavor.  I expected a bit more after laying off for so long, and as the stick was 4+ years old, I thought I would enjoy it more.  It stayed steady in the weak flavor profile throughout the smoke, but in it's defense, it burned exceptionally well and the draw was perfect.  STILL, small comfort given the weak flavor.  There was a little toast, some MILD spice and a little wispy cocoa in the far background.




The chicken was great, just cooked to perfection, with a spicy outer crust and a superb, moist inner core.  The dogs gave me the "what's up?" face, so I burned my fingers on one ripping it into pieces for them.  


The cigar must be rated, and Habanos isn't going to be happy with this one, MAYBE a 72??  The chicken??...I give that a solid 88 pernts.

No comments: