Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Oct. 2007 Montecristo No.2

I decided once again I owed it to the folks who visit here to get off of my ever-increasing fat butt and smoke some cigars while winter has done a lil trick on us. 


I was taking a box of Montecristo No.2 and putting them into a cedar box for long term aging, and I could only fit 20-21 cigars in the box.  So because one had a ding in the wrapper, I decided to smoke it.  A hole in the wrapper is usually a bad sign for me, I find they taste nothing like a cigar with a perfect wrapper, and the draw can sometimes be very weird.  I took some honey and patched the hole with it.  This usually works, but for good measure I took a piece of wrapper cut from the head and placed that on top of the honey to seal the hole.  But then it was clear that I had another issue.  The cigar barely drew air.  I usually cut a circle about 1/4 inch in a piramide.  But the draw was extrememly stingy.  So I cut it twice, my second cut exposed a 1/2 inch opening.  And I still couldn't get a draw I liked.  In fact it did not change.  There was a hard spot near the head I did not like the look or feel of.  But I lit it up and began to smoke.  I am not sure if it was the draw or the age of the smoke, but there was no flavor to be had whatsoever. 



I love the Montecristo No.2, and it was a great looking stick, such a fine shade of wrapper, such nice oils, nice form.  Just no smoke.  When cigars are like this there is no sense in rating them.  If I had to, I would give it a 50.  So you can see why I am apprehensive about rating it at all.  I have another stick out and needing to burn.  I will get back to this entry at a later time to contrast the two cigars.

Additionally, I had about a shot of Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond Rye.......good stuff.  A great selection and suggestion fromthe Bourbon thread at cigarasylum.

No comments: