Search This Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2011

2007 El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme

This is the first time these cigars have seen the light of day.  I have a few cigars.  I can afford to buy a box of cigars and wait 5-6 years to smoke them, and I often do.  But these have been calling out to me for years.  I do not smoke as many cigars in a year as I used to, so they are welcome to call away, it's unlikely their cries will be heard.  But today was the day that they would have their day in the sun.  I raked up a couple hundred pounds of wet and muddy leaves out of the gutter, and in 40 degree weather, I sat out in the sun in a T-shirt with a Hop Wallop and a freshly lit Choix Supreme. 




I must be on a real roll, because right from the first puff, this cigar was impressive.  In fact I would say that I BELIEVE them when people OFTEN say that the Choix Supreme can be the equal of the Cohiba Robusto on any given day.  I think that this is true, the cigars obviously share some similarities in blend, but what I think shows itself in the end is the INTENSITY of elegant flavor of the Cohiba robusto that is not quite there in the Choix.  But certainly the two cigars start out very similarly.  VERY CREAMY, sweet and spicy, with a gigantic core of toasted tobacco flavor.  The cuban twang was  just outstanding.  And CREAMY??  Man, what a creamy stick.  I was knocked out by the constant stream of great flavor.  it was extremely balanced and mouth-watering.  The burn was a little more rugged than my recent CORO,  but the burn was manageable and the draw was superb.  As I smoked into the core of the cigar near the middle of the stick, I was shown what the real difference is between the two cigars.  The wonderful flavor was  there, but there was a distinct lack of the chcolate and coffee in this cigar.  It was still loaded with vanilla, baking spices, butterscotch and toasted tobacco.  But creamier than the CORO.  I like that....a lot.



The burn was a little crooked, but not out of control and it did not affect the burn or enjoyment.  I have a lot of these smokes put away, and I think I might smoke every one. WOW, what a great little cigar.  I score this one 91 points!

1 comment:

Donna Stevenson said...

I haven't had a Choix Supreme yet but i've been meaning to get around to getting a few sticks. Thanks for the review, i think this gave me the push to go out and finally get some.
MiamiCigars